Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Revised Senior Project Proposal

My first senior project, which was to create a science fiction film, has come to a screeching halt. Throughout the course of this process I have hit one obstacle after another. Creating the simple light saber props put me behind because of the lack of access to tools. I would not be able to implement a green screen idea I had for the studio because the lights were too orange. Over the spring break I failed to get even some of the basics shots due to the lack of actors and extras being present because of conflicting schedules or lack of interest. In addition the SSU-TV studio does not in fact possess a copy of After Effects, the software necessary to animate the light saber effect. Do to all of these reasons; I unfortunately do not believe that I will be able to complete my original proposal anymore. I submit this second proposal.

During this semester my senior seminar and public relations teachers have been doing their best to prepare me for the professional world, through anecdotes of their past experiences, as well as tips on what employers are looking for. This has given me a better view of what my strengths in communications are, and what I need to polish up on in order to put forth my best possible work. For this reason I believe that my time is better spent creating my own personal blog where I can express my opinions and views to the world at large on a variety of issues.

Throughout my college years I have come to understand myself better. I have a natural compulsion to stay informed about the goings on of the world and have a ravenous appetite for consuming all other forms of media. These are aspect of my personality I can harness to a more creative end with my senior project.

This will provide educational experiences such as managing my own online publication; improve upon my writing and grammar skills, as well as being able to express my own abstract notions and ideas about the media and modern culture. Through repetition and practice, I will develop my ideas and arguments, and better express and articulate concisely through writing.

In writing this blog, I will be better prepared to work in this field due to the fact it will give me an opportunity to consider the many different aspects relate to each specific topic. This will possibly give me an advantage in the professional world; much like the anecdote Calovita told the class in which a former student prevented his company from taking on a project that most likely would be a detriment to the organization through the use of a properly worded memo.

For the next month I plan on filling my blog with content about current issues related to the media as well as journaling about my experiences in the Communications Studies department at Sonoma State. I have many other projects that I am currently working on in school. I can update my blog about and explain in great detail. Reflecting upon what I have done, and what I could do better next time is a great learning experience. I am currently, this semester, writing for the Sonoma State Star, event planning for the First Annual Sonoma State Movie Festival, and planning a public relations campaign for the YMCA of Marin, among other things. The way I see it, history is made every day. Through media and digital documentation we are able to have a better record of that history. I can be a part of that.

How we are affected by media information and how it is coming at us are comprehensive questions that I hope to explore in the blog. The ability to take theses individual, small in the grand scheme, but significant instances and be able to study, and discuses them intellectually on an open format of a blog will further my educational experience and make me a more intellectually dynamic individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment